A Note to All You Prospective Film Teachers

Since I launched this webpage in early 2003, I have received numerous emails from visitors all over the world (really!). Many of these visitors have given me a greatr deal of feedback and compliments, and for that I am very grateful. Usually, right around this time of year, I receive a large number of emails from teachers all over the country, that usually read something like this: "Hi! I found your site on the web and it's really great! I just found out I will be teaching a Film course for the first time next fall, and I have no idea where to start! Can you help me plan my course/send me your syllabus/answer a million of my questions?" or something to that effect.

First, let me say that I am glad that you found this site, and I hope that some of the information will be helpful to you; also, thanks for the many compliments...however, please realize that like you, I am a very busy educator under lots of pressure and, while I support your quest to create a film course, I simply can not answer all of your emails personally or help you plan your course. Feel free to browse as much as you like for inspiration (my course is a semester course, and as you may have noticed this site has archives in chronological order), but I do NOT give my syllabus out to anyone outside of my district (also, note all materials on this site are protected by copyright). My recommendation is to get your hands on a great textbook, Understanding the Film by Jan Bone and Ron Johnson (published by Glencoe). Hey, don't hold it against me: when I was given this course five years ago, I started with nothing but a textbook; at least you have a textbook and a website to draw from! Good luck!

Comments

Popular Posts